Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 3 My SMART Goal

My SMART goal is to recycle 100% of the items that I use throughout my daily life.
During my second week of my SMART goal I was able to reach my goal of making sure that we had a separate bin for recyclable items. I also was able everyday last week to make sure that every item that was thrown away was put in the proper bin. This did involve me to be doing a bit of garbage diving and pulling items out of the garbage and placing them into the recycling bin. I also posted a list of things that could be recycled and not just thrown in the garbage so that my roommates could be reminded. It was really nice to physically be able to recycle the items that were being thrown out of our house. It was also really cool to see my roommates taking the time to make sure that the right items got recycled, it felt like we were making a difference.
For next week I want to make sure that we get all the recyclables together and make sure that they get out for the garbage man to pick them up for us.

Photo by: Jamie Lakatos

Act as if what you do makes a difference.  It does.  ~William James



2 comments:

  1. I also had to 'dumpster dive' a couple times before my roommates got the clue on what could be recycled and what couldn't. I actually went to our garbage services website- waste management and they provided us with a printable list of what is considered recyclable- it is still post on the side of our fridge by our recycle bin. Maybe you could look up a list also...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great idea to post a list of things that can be recycled by the bins. I love your quote from William James. It can seem like some of the things we do don't make a difference because they're small but they can have a huge impact!

    ReplyDelete