Thursday, November 10, 2011

Share & Voice

The name of the website that I would like to share is Tree Hugger. This is a very neat site dealing with environmental issues and how we can make a change. The one part of this site that I found really interesting and exciting is the "10 of the Best College Environmental Programs in the U.S"
To my surprise the #1 college is right in our backyard at Northland College in Ashland WI. I thought that it really neat because I have always had the mind set that only huge division one schools were able to make big changes and differences like Northland has. Northland College is pretty much ran around our environment, not only do they offer numerous enviornmental-based programs they also use the environment to help run their campus. They have one building complex called McLean Environmental Living and Learning Center. This building has sustainability features such as 14 solar panels, motion sensor lighting, low flow water, 2 waterless composting toilets, a wind tower and 3 photo-volatic solar arrays which provides 6% of the building's electricity. McLean Environmental Living and Learning Center is made up of recycled items uses as furniture, flooring and countertops!
I do not expect UMD to be able to do all this but little changes would go along way. I think everyone should check out this site and just get inspired I know that I am!
http://www.treehugger.com/culture/10-of-the-best-college-environmental-programs-in-the-us.html

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awesome place to go to school. I think I may check out their programs. This class has really gotten me interested in more of the environmental aspect of being a health educator. It truly looks at if this school is doing its part to help better our environment. Kudos to them and you for sharing this information with us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a pretty awesome place! Being a state school makes it much harder for UMD to put up funding for expensive projects like that - but it's not impossible! Cool website though, will be sure to check out the other aspects of the site not just that top 10 list!

    ReplyDelete